In the 14th century, during their stays in Avignon, the popes – and especially Pope John XXII – built a papal castle in Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
Impressed by the area's exceptional soils, they established vineyards on the slopes surrounding the château and were instrumental in promoting the local wine's reputation around the world.
Domaine de Beaurenard in Châteauneuf-du-Pape has been a family-run estate for seven
A notarial act dated 16 December 1695 mentions “Bois Renard”, which over time has become “Beaurenard”.
The Coulon brothers, Daniel and Frédéric, have taken over from Paul and Régine and are striving to sustain tradition.
The estate covers 32 hectares (a little under 80 acres) of vines in Châteauneuf-du-Pape and 25 hectares in the Côtes du Rhône Villages Rasteau AOC area.